Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Chicken Barley Stew

I know, it's been while, but I finally got my pictures from husband's computer. I guess if I expect to keep my visitors, I must entertain them, so I'll be posting a few times this week. First, here is dinner last night. This one is a quicky and but for the barley, you probably have all ingredients on hand. Oh, and if you think you don't like barley, you are probably wrong.
Chicken Barley Stew
1 tsp. oil
1 c. chopped onion
2 c. (or 1 can) chicken broth
2 c. water
1/2 c. quick-cook barley
2 tsp. chili powder
2-3 c. frozen corn, green beans, peas
2 c. shredded chicken
1 can diced tomatoes
1 Tb. dried parsley or cilantro
Saute onion in oil 5 min. Add broth and water, bring to a boil. Stir in barley and chili powder. Simmer 5 min. and add veggies. Anything is really fine here. I use some frozen, some canned (never canned peas--they are icky). Cover and simmer 5 min. until barley is tender. Stir in chicken (or beef or turkey, cooked) and tomatoes (spicy ones are good). Add parsley now. Heat through and serve.

No comments: