Sunday, March 30, 2008

Fun with Eggs



This is late. Hey, I have three kids. Okay, so here are our Easter festivities. First, the eggs in a nest. One bag of butterscotch chips, melted. Maybe melt in the microwave. I did it on the stove and they smelled very peculiar. Tasted fine, though. Stir in half a bag or so of chow mein noodles (the crunchy kind) and press into a Texas-sized muffin tin. Cool until set. Fill with candy eggs. Next year.




This is Eggs A La Goldenrod. Right, Mom? I think that's what it's called. Anyway, when I first made it as a married woman, I didn't remember it tasting as yummy as it does, I only remembered how pretty the sieve-pressed yolks looked up on top--like goldenrods! So, here it is: make up a white sauce by melting 2 T. butter and stirring in 2 T. flour, then 2 c. milk, heat and stir until thick. Salt and pepper it and add in 5 chopped, hard-boiled egg whites. Press the hard-boiled egg yolks through a strainer on top and serve on toast. A lovely way to use up those blue and orange eggs your kids made yesterday (in this case, last week). That's it for now!

4 comments:

Toni Dee! said...

OK, I know I don't comment often - but I LOVE your garden and kitchen sites . . . and visit almost daily for new ideas. Thanks for the great left-over-easter egg idea, we had so many, next year I'll know what to do with them besides potato salad and deviled eggs :)

Heather said...

Those egg nests are so cute, I will have to try and remember this for next year or maybe I will just make them for fun sometime! Thanks for your recipes, you are a great cook.

Lynnell Fulkerson said...

A note from mom: Yep, those are Eggs a la Goldenrod! Goldenrod is the Nebraska state flower, I believe, and my Nebraska-born mom fed her Nebraska-born kids (us) on special Sunday or Holiday mornings.

Heather said...

Hey, I just wanted to say that I tried the Eggs A La Goldenrod this morning. They were very good and very easy to make. I just had to think ahead and boil the eggs yesterday. Thanks for the recipes. Congratulations on the new bun in the oven! That is very exciting. You will have to let us know when you are due. I tried those sticky buns also.