Friday, February 20, 2009

Country Style Pork Ribs

I hadn't ever made ribs before. I know, cry for my husband. But there was this terrific sale and I thought I should pick some up just to have in my freezer in case the need to make ribs arose. Then, I got so excited, I googled some recipes and decided to try the one for which I had all three ingredients on hand. Oh, and it didn't call for a grill, which was helpful as I don't like to stand in the cold.

Ingredients:
Boneless country style pork ribs
Pineapple juice
Barbeque sauce

Mmmm. Okay, so you boil the ribs in the juice for 45 minutes. Enough to cover should be good, but I added about twice the amount of water because all I had was the (frozen) juice from a can of pineapple chunks. Pineapple juice is a natural tenderizer and therefore works well in marinades and basting sauces and for boiling ribs... Drain ribs, baste on barbeque sauce and broil 2-3 minutes. Then turn them over, baste and broil again and you're done! Very good, and pretty, too. Wish I would've snapped a picture.

This will now be a staple and probably a freezer meal. And if you make them better, I'd love to hear about it...

4 comments:

The Estes Family said...

they sound yummy! I'll have to try it sometime!

XO said...

This is perfect for me! I have 4 sets of ribs in the freezer and the first broiling experience was *okay* but not great. We didn't boil them first though. And I had no idea about the pineapple juice. I'll have to go get some.

Do you get fancy with beans at all? I just don't know - whenever I cook them, we eat a little and toss them out. Not enough spices or just not good enough. Any ideas?

Lynnell Fulkerson said...

Ooo- yummy! I guess I would add just a touch of red hot pepper (cayenne), but I put cayenne in everything, including my chocolate milk.
I got a recipe for gazpacho (cold tomato-cucumber soup) that I am itching to try. It is almost like my salsa, but with cucumbers.

Lynnell Fulkerson said...

Oh, and Sara, the trick with beans is to soak them overnight in plain cold water. Rinse and cook in new clean water (no salt, no seasonings). After they are tender,(several hours of slow-cook simmer or use a pressure cooker to get them done fast). THEN add the salt and other seasonings. Add the salt too soon and they get tough. Add the seasonings too soon and they taste funny. Better yet, buy canned beans. :)