Thursday, November 13, 2008

On a roll...

I've been missing for a few weeks. My children have come to think of Grandma's as their second home and wonder why we come to our own some days after kindergarten. We have been on a canning kick. No, I wasn't much of a canner before, but she wanted to try some things and so did I and we ended up doing much more than planned, but the good thing is, it all goes faster with more than one person.
Our first endeavors all had to do with the abundance of tomatoes in our garden. Here we have two different salsas, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and spaghetti sauce (my pressure canner is AWESOME!). Our latest was enchilada sauce, which is better than anything storebought, makes 60 pints with one recipe and requires a pot taller than my son, which Mother-in-Law happened to come upon just days before we planned our excursion. Oh, and don't forget a two-and-a-half foot wooden spoon...


We did peaches and pears for the fun of it and pear sauce because the way Sara described it, I just had to have some...

Joni's family gave us a box of apples which I didn't can because I found myself alone and not able to embark on an all-day project without help, so I made dehydrated cinnamon apple chips (nice and crunchy like potato chips, the thinner the better) and cinnamon applesauce for the freezer in my crockpot, thank you, Joni...


Two different recipes for dill relish. I like the sweet stuff, I just prefer it sour...


And last, but not least, chicken. It ain't pretty, but it tastes just fine and I bought a forty pound box of boneless skinless for $1.19 a pound. Can you get it cheaper?
Next week: beef chunks.

7 comments:

Monica said...

I am going to have my mother-in-law help me can meat when she comes to visit. I think it sounds disgusting but she says it's the best thing ever. Yay for food storage!!!

The Felix Family said...

I love canned food!! I am so jealous of all the tomato products you have. They sound GREAT along with everything else. I think you are good to go for a long time!

Toni Dee! said...

OH my heck! I think that we need to be neighbors so I can join in these ventures. Or hey - maybe I can watch your cute kiddos that I've never even met while YOU do all the canning? I could handle a trade like that! :)

XO said...

You HAVE been busy, and I've never ever seen chicken that cheap - GOOD JOB! We've been talking about learning how to can meat - I've never seen it before, so thanks for the heads up on that one!

The Estes Family said...

wow it all looks great!

Kaycee said...

We have also been bottling chicken when we get it on a good sale. I LOVE IT! We mix it with different things (buillion, salsa, stewed tomatoes,etc) and experiment with tastes. We also bottle our deer meat every year! Yum! I wish you were here so we could bottle together... we also have been bottling a TON and it is not fun alone!! Go YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Hi - yes I remember you! Thanks for finding me and commenting on my blog. That was a fun surprise! :)

Your blog looks very worthwhile. I think I'll be stopping back from time to time.