Monday, December 17, 2007

The Frills

The "Icing on My Cakes"! Most of these will not actually be icing and also not preferable as accompaniment for cakes.

Fakin' Amazing Sauce:
1 c. hot pepper sauce (like Frank's)
2 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbs. corn syrup
2 Tbs. water
1 Tbs. corn starch

Mix hot pepper sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and corn syrup together in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Mix corn starch and water to make a slurry and slowly pour into sauce pan while stirring constantly to your desired thickness. Stores in the fridge for hmmm...let's say a month? We actually have used it older than that. Pretty much everything in it is a preservative.


I named this one when I was 15, so it's a bit corny, but so good and worth the effort. It's best for crowds as it probably isn't good after 2 weeks and it makes 2 quarts.
Rancher Bob Dressing (Buttermilk Ranch)
1 qt. mayonnaise
2 1/2 c. buttermilk
1 Tbs. each black pepper, MSG, onion flakes
1 tsp. each salt, garlic powder, parsley flakes
Mix in a pitcher and chill overnight. It's best to mix a little buttermilk at a time into the whole quart of mayo. It makes it smoother. Also I put in a lot more parsley that I dried myself. Watch for my garden blog coming this spring!

Teriyaki Sauce:
1 c. soy sauce
1 c. sugar (or splenda)
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 Tb. olive or sesame oil
1 Tb. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground ginger
Mix & keep in the fridge. Use to marinate, baste or cook chicken in. Add a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, stir-fried, and you're done!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for the recipes. You gave me this teriyaki one a long time ago and I liked it, but lost the recipe.
I am looking forward to the garden blog. Pretty soon down here it will be past the freezing time. Of course, I like to brag and say we haven't been below freezing that much this winter in southern Utah. ;)
I really like having the blogs to store recipes. If I ever lost it, I would be sad. I put more things on the blog than the recipe box.