Monday, September 8, 2008

Canning Season


There is something completely satisfying about putting bottled food on your shelves. It may be the "I just saved $2.50 a jar on that apricot jam!" or the "I only eat my mom's pickles, so you should learn how to make them," from my husband, but I absolutely adore looking at jars of food I have canned myself. So here they are: apricot jam from my tree--next year I will pick them underripe (before the birds get the lot of them) and ripen in brown bags; Heather's zucchini relish--my first batch, (zucchini from my garden, most else from the store) and rather tasty if I do say so; Husband's mom's pickles--they really are the best and her 4 cucumber plants have produced some 26? quarts so far; and beets from MIL's garden and mine--mine are the one inchers, though I planted a month earlier than she did click here for my excuse (if you haven't noticed, even I don't visit my garden blog anymore).

3 comments:

XO said...

Looks absolutely delicious! What an accomplishment. Joel and I want to try some gardening eventually...I guess if we actually get anything from it we'll try canning too! My mom only ever did tomato sauce and salsa when we were growing up, I actually think she still does it, and she always loves that feeling at the end of the day!

Toni Dee! said...

OOH yummy! They are beautiful. This is a wishful thinking "maybe someday" hobby for me :)

Heather said...

I am going to add beets to next years garden. I am really glad you did some relish. I Love It! The best is to make chicken salad sandwiches-Canned chicken, a little mayo, a lot of relish, grapes (Optional). I also put this on any sandwich I am eating, really good on bbq beef sandwiches. Sounds weird, but yummy. Your canning jars look wonderful, Good JOB!