Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Two Easy Recipes

...that look like nothing at all...

This one is curry popcorn. I know you can't see the curry, but believe me, it is there and it is awesome. I don't even eat plain buttered popcorn anymore. I was always the one who made popcorn in a pot with the oil and the shaking, until the lady who sold us our last house and left most of her unwanteds in it kindly "donated" a hot-air popper. Mmmm, this is yummy.
Okay, so for all you curry fans, here is the recipe: Popcorn, butter and a mix of curry powder and salt. Make sure you have at least two parts curry to one part salt or you will be sorry. Then do it nice and slow, sprinkle here, sprinkle there, tasting as you go. I like lots of curry.
If you'd like a recipe for real actual curry, you'll have to see my brother-in-law. He's a good Scottish boy who prefers not to "go for an Indian", but to make his own. (They talk funny over there.)

Next we have broiled grapefruit. Yes, broiled, and I must say, it is also tasteworthy. There is a bit of conflict within the families, some eat grapefruit with salt and some with sugar. I don't think I ever put anything on it, but once in a while you get those sourish ones that need some help, so this is what you do: Cut grapefruit in half and along all those little lines so it's ready to go. Sprinkle nicely with brown sugar and broil it close until the sugar is bubbly. This will improve even those old dried grapefruits you haven't eaten yet. Oh, but if they are my Grammie's grapefruit, don't you dare, they are perfect the way they are. (Why don't they sell those yellow ones in Utah?)


4 comments:

XO said...

Ooh, I need to visit Grammie! Yum!

Lynnell Fulkerson said...

How about a fat-free curry popcorn recipe, using granulated butter-flavor popcorn salt? I need to cut fat and sodium. Maybe a half tsp of Mortons reduced salt substitute (half sodium, half potassium), a half tsp of butter-flavor popcorn salt, and 2 tsp of curry powder for your 2:1 ratio? That's why air-popped corn is great - it is fat-free. :)

Every time I write "tsp" I think of Cinderella's fairy godmother trying to bake a birthday cake.

Michal said...

looks great!

you may not remember, but you entered a writing contest on my blog back in july. i am trying to get the last of these prizes out, but i don't have your address. would you please email me? sleepymum(AT)gmail(DOT)com.

thanks.

Lynnell Fulkerson said...

It works! I bought an empty spritzer bottle in the hairspray aisle, and some light olive oil. I spritzed my freshly popped bowl of airpopped corn before I sprinkled on the curry and salt.